Grace Lutheran School was opened in 1896. Currently, the school has approximately 207 students in Grades PK-8. The student body is racially, ethnically and socially diverse, drawing students from the Grace Church congregation and from the surrounding communities.
Faith at the center
- At Grace Lutheran School, we center our lives in God’s grace and love.
- We worship God in daily devotions and prayer and in weekly chapel services. Children learn the story of Jesus’ love for us in religion classes.
- We put our faith into action in service projects and in the way we live with one another every day.
- Grace teachers create a challenging academic environment responsive to the needs and abilities of our students.
- Individualized instruction includes interactive computerized reading activities, opportunities for independent study, and multiple junior high math groups.
- A full-time resource teacher provides individualized support, in the classroom and in small groups.
- A part-time reading specialist helps struggling young students to become successful readers.
- Grace Lutheran School students continue their education at college-preparatory high schools throughout the area, often in honors-level classes.
- Test scores for Grace students are consistently above the national median.
We care about character
- We guide children as they reflect on their behavior. We notice when they do well. We support them as they strive to do better.
- In the classroom, on the playground, in the hallway, we help our students to care for one another, to stand up for each other, and to take responsibility for their own plans and actions.
Our mission at Grace Lutheran Church and School is to bring in, build up, and send out disciples for Jesus Christ. Our school prepares children for a life of discipleship by helping them to grow in faith, knowledge, and character.
Faith formation. Students will develop a relationship with God that leads to ongoing spiritual growth and active involvement in the Christian community.
Academic excellence. Students will master a challenging and enriching curriculum that meets or exceeds established learning standards.
Character development. Students will develop the moral integrity and sense of responsibility that guides life of service to God and seek justice in God’s creation.
Grace Lutheran School is accredited by AdvancED, a national accrediting agency. Grace is also a recognized school of the Illinois State Board of Education.