The following information is for children participating in the service who attend Grace School. If you are the parent of a Grace Church child who does not attend Grace School, please click here for information.
The Grace early evening worship services on Christmas Eve, at 4:15 and 6 pm, are led by the children of Grace Church and School. All children in grades 1–8 are involved in this annual highlight of our school year. The candlelit cross (actual flashlights for safety purposes) formed by the 5th-8th-grade students will begin the service for the 71st consecutive year. Students prepare carefully for the responsibility of leading worship and look forward to sharing the joy of Christ’s birth on Christmas Eve. The tradition lives on in the hearts of students even after they graduate from Grace, and alumni return year after year to experience the beauty of this service.
After reading the following information, Grace School parents are asked to let us know about your child(ren)’s participation in the Christmas Eve service using our online form — you'll find the link at the bottom of this page.
Please submit the form by Friday, November 8.
Children in Grades 1-4
- Children with last names from M-Z will sing at the 4:15 pm service. Children with last names from A-L will sing at the 6 pm service. Children in grades 1–4 may participate in both services if they wish.
- Assigning children to a service time based on their last names helps us to keep the number of lower-grade children in each service approximately equal. However, if the assigned service time does not work for your family, your child may participate in the other service. Most years we are in need of more participants in the 6 pm service, so please consider this option for your child.
Children in Grades 5–8
- Children in Grades 5–8 have the option to participate in the choir or in the costumed pageant.
- Members of the Choir and the School Handbell Choir (Strike Team) must be present for both services.
- Students in the School Handbell Choir will ring during the service, but will also participate in Grace’s traditional Christmas Cross.
- Children in the pageant participate in one or both services.
- 8th-grade students may also be readers at one or both services, as assigned. They rehearse with Ms. Gwen Gotsch, times to be arranged.
Cover design (all grades)
All children are invited to submit a design for the bulletin covers for the Christmas season. The design should be on an 8.5 x 11-inch sheet of paper. The use of color is encouraged. Designs should be submitted to Mrs. Maggio at the school office by Friday, December 13.
If you have questions about the services or your child’s participation please email your child’s classroom teacher or Janel Dennen at .
Your help and support make it possible for this tradition of leading Christmas Eve worship to continue at Grace. We pray that your child’s participation in these services helps him or her grow in faith and knowledge of God’s love, shown to us in Christ’s birth.
There are a variety of volunteer roles you can choose from to support our preparation and performance for this traditional performance.