Since 1992, Housing Forward has transformed the lives of close to 15,000 people in West Cook County by helping them with immediate housing and crisis needs, addressing their health and income difficulties, and transitioning them back to housing stability.
- Grace member Sue Foran and her family, along with a group of Grace members and friends, have been volunteering with Housing Forward for the past 18 years, preparing and serving a meal once a month at the PADS shelter at St. John Lutheran Church in Forest Park. Please take a few minutes to watch this video, in which Sue tells why she does this and describes ways in which you can “get proximate” to the people served by Housing Forward.
Housing Forward's response to the COVID-19 pandemic
With the help of hundreds of volunteers, donors, and businesses, Housing Forward has been providing individual accommodations and basic needs for more than 100 people who were experiencing homelessness when the COVID-19 crisis began. More than 600 meals are delivered each weekend by Housing Forward staff and volunteers.
As we look for ways to bear one another’s burdens during this time, here's how you can help support Housing Forward’s mission in our community:
- Pray for the health and safety of Housing Forward clients.
- Volunteer to make breakfasts or lunches. Meals will be needed throughout the summer. Sign up here. Please list Grace River Forest in the box labeled "Volunteer Group - Other."
- Sponsor a House to Home Kit, or help collect items for a House to Home Kit. These kits provide Housing Forward clients with necessary household items when they move from the shelter or streets into a new apartment. You can do this as a group project or donate as an individual.
- Partner with Housing Forward in their Landlord Partner Program.
- Support Housing Forward's response to homelessness during the COVID-19 pandemic with a donation to their Emergency Response Fund.