Social Ministry Giving Tree
The Giving Tree is up in the Grace atrium, with tags requesting gifts for clients of local social service agencies. You're welcome to stop by Grace and take a tag from the tree, purchase the gift, and then drop it off at Grace by November 30.
All gifts this year will be given in the form of gift cards. So there's no need to pick up a tag from the tree in order to make a gift.
- All you need to do is purchase a $25 gift card, in person or online, from Target, Walmart, Trader Joe's or Kohl's, and then drop the card(s) off at the reception desk at Grace.
- We are requesting plastic, physical cards, not e-cards. Please do not box or wrap the gift cards.
- If you purchase gift cards online, you may have them shipped directly to Grace Church; please include "Attention Social Ministry" in the address.
Gift cards will be shared with:
- Elderly residents of Mills Tower in Oak Park
- Clients of Oak Leyden Developmental Services
- Single mothers and their children supported at New Moms
- Homeless teens and young adults served by The Night Ministry
You may designate a specific agency for your gift, or rely on the members of the Social Ministry Community to distribute cards where they are most needed.
If you would like to purchase gift cards for the Giving Tree through Grace School's Scrip program (which shares a percentage of the purchase price with the school), please contact Eileen Maggio in the School Office.
Gift cards should be received at Grace by November 29. Thank for your contributions to the Giving Tree!
Toys for kids
Lutheran Child and Family Services is asking for cash donations for its Hope for the Holidays Christmas Drive. The money will be used to buy gifts for foster children in the care of LCFS.
You may donate online, or mail a check to LCFS, Attn: Christmas Drive, LCFS, One Oakbrook Terrace, Suite 501, Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181.
Christmas giving at The Night Ministry
The Night Ministry serves people struggling with poverty, homelessness and loneliness in Chicago, especially teens and young adults. Working together with the fifth and sixth grade classes of Grace School, the Social Ministry Committee is preparing Christmas stockings filled with necessities for people served by The Night Ministry.
The specific items needed are: small packs of tissues, full-size deodorant, lip balm, hand cream, adult-size thermal socks, mini- or travel-size first aid kid, stretchy gloves, winter hats, decks of cards, assorted candy and face masks. (Note: "toiletries" such as toothpaste, etc. are not being collected this year.)
Donations may be dropped off at Grace in the bin between the glass doors on Bonnie Brae.
Help the nuns provide Thanksgiving dinner to our neighbors
The sisters at Fraternité Notre Dame are making plans for their Annual Thanksgiving dinner for our neighbors in the Austin area. They are in need of at least 100 turkeys and miscellaneous other meal items in order to serve the hundreds of folks who come for dinner.
With COVID restrictions in place they cannot invite people inside to eat, so they will be passing out dinner to guests who come to the church and wait in line. Obviously it is not ideal, but our neighbors will still be fed and will receive a turkey to take home for their families.
The sisters are so grateful for the steadfast support from the people of Grace Church over the years. They would appreciate whatever you are able to contribute!
- You may mail checks to Sue Foran at her home by Sunday, November 22, and she will do the shopping.
- Or drop off a check at Grace.
- Feel free to contact Sue to make other arrangements.
Thank you so much!
925 Bonnie Brae
River Forest, IL 60305